Hotel Millersburg lies in the heart of one of Ohio's earliest frontiers, Holmes County, now home to the largest Amish community in the world. The hotel was first built in 1824 as a stagecoach stop and tavern, in the same year that Millersburg was named the county seat.
In 1847, Sampson Bever erected much of the present building and called it 'Central Hotel'. We count that as our official beginning, making Hotel Millersburg the third oldest continuously operating hotel in Ohio.
Electricity came to Millersburg in 1888, with 26 streetlights and both electric and gas lights in the hotel. Streets were finally brick paved in 1890, followed soon by water, sewer and fire hydrants in 1895. Telephones also started that year.
In 1905 the hotel was renamed as the American Hotel. It became the Hotel Millersburg after the First World War.
Former President Grover Cleveland was a guest at Hotel Millersburg. A copy of the registration log from December 8, 1900, containing his signature is located in the first floor hallway.
Be sure to view the historic pictures of Hotel Millersburg and Millersburg Village located on the first floor entrance hallway and throughout the Tavern, and feel free to walk the halls of the hotel viewing over 750 antique pictures & calendars.